Just last night I was heating some meatless riblets and the microwave directions read, “Make slits in the plastic and heat for 3-4 minutes.” Something inside my little brain said, “Hey, haven’t I gotten about a dozen emails from friends warning about the hazards of heating plastics in the microwave?”
Instead, I heated it in a ceramic dish. And yes, I know it was in the microwave and I’ll probably find out some day that that’s toxic, too, but I was acutely aware of the whole issue of BPAs in food packaging and the dangers of toxins leaching into our foods.
Imagine my surprise this morning when I read this article on Greenerdesign.com about BPAs in food packaging and the miserable scores that food companies got regarding their plans to eliminate it in their packaging. Yikes. If we know that BPAs leach into water from water bottles, why are they still used in food packaging that’s heated?
This is probably the next frontier for the FDA after they get food safety straightened out but until they do, use ceramic or glass for heating foods and steel water bottles for drinking.
THIS JUST SEEN: I went back to the GreenerDesign site to learn more and found this:
Chicago became the first city in the U.S. to ban bisphenol A (BPA) in certain products last week, following on the news of the first state to ban BPA (Minnesota) and first county (Suffolk County, NY) to do the same.