Living a more eco-friendly lifestyle has lot to do with living with more intent – and the hardest part about this is probably remembering.
And we all make mistakes. About 30% of the time I go to the grocery store – pretty much anytime I go in for a quick purchase – I forget my reusable bags, and end up waddling out with my arms full of produce and other goodies.
None of us are infallible, but there are some quick tricks to implement in your life to help make the transition into a greener lifestyle a bit easier, and hopefully, less fallible. 🙂
- Leave your reusable shopping bags and totes in the car, this way they are always there when you need them.
- Keep your reusable water bottle in your purse or backpack, so you always have it with you when you’re on the run. When I’m somewhere stationary, like work, I use a good old fashioned cup, so I won’t forget my water bottle on my desk and not have it when I most need it! (Like at the gym).
- Invest in a good thermos that can both keep your drinks hot or cold – make your own coffee or bulk tea at home, this will save you from the plastic tops that you get when you buy take-away coffee. You can also bring your own thermos and fill it up at your local coffee shop, I literally have never had anyone refuse this.
- Make yourself lunch and snacks at home instead of buying them during the day. You know you’re going to want a snack after lunch, prepare for this ahead of time to avoid the needless plastic that comes with most grocery purchases!
- Leave yourself visual clues. Once you’ve done your grocery shopping – with your reusable bags – leave them somewhere you know you’ll see them on your way out so you can put them back in your car. Or place your water bottle next to your keys, so you aren’t forced to buy bottled water during the day or at the gym.
- Set reminders to help get yourself in the habit of these new changes. Ex. 8AM: make lunch and snacks; 8:45AM grab thermos and water bottle; 11AM great job you haven’t used any plastic! time to treat yourself to that responsibly made chocolate you packed 😉
What are your tips for living a more eco friendly and sustainable lifestyle?
Written by: Mollie Mac, ECOBAGS® very own marketing maven. Mollie is an adventurer and a green living advocate. If you have any tips or tricks for her she’d love to hear from you, email her at: email@example.com 🙂