The choice to live a greener lifestyle is probably one of the best resolutions you can make. Why? Because it’s something you can ease yourself into: so you aren’t likely to give up; it promotes a healthier you; and it also promotes a cleaner environment.
Plus when you feel good about what you’re doing, you feel better about yourself.
Here’s how you can help save the environment in 2017:
- Bring your own thermos to the coffee shop, or make your own. If you swapped out the usual paper and plastic everyday for a reusable thermos that you can use everyday for years, in just one year you would save ~88 lbs of CO2 emissions from entering our atmosphere.
- Start bringing your own bags to the grocery store, and ditch the plastic. The average American family of 4 uses 1500 plastic bags per year, that’s a lot of waste.
- Hang your clothes to dry – it’s not something you can just do in summer! Get yourself a drying rack to dry clothes both in and outdoors. Each clothes dryer emits more than a ton of CO2 per YEAR! Plus, air drying clothes extends their lifetime, and you’ll save money!
- Stop buying bottled water! It’s not only an expensive habit for your wallet, but it also takes a toll on our earth. Each plastic bottle takes at least 450 years to degrade – and that doesn’t mean it’s particles go away, when a plastic bottle degrades it enters our ecosystem – through dirt, water, and even animals – and then the toxins come into direct contact with you!
Here’s how the environment can help you:
- It’s often cheaper to buy the “greener” option – from bulk foods, to discounts given for bringing your own mug into many coffee establishments, to simply saving money because you’re no longer dropping $1 every time you need some water – tap is free or a fraction of the cost. You’ll also save money not regularly running your dishwasher, or by turning off the tap when you’re brushing your teeth or washing your face.
- When you buy less packaged foods – you’re generally buying healthier “whole” foods. Your body will thank you for giving it less processed nutrients. You’ll likely loose weight, and… ahem… be more regular. Plus, if you opt to bring your own lunch to work – you’ll not only saving on plastic and paper waste, you’ll also save money.
What’s your 2017 resolution?
Written by: Mollie Mac, ECOBAGS® very own marketing maven. Mollie is an adventurer and a green living advocate. If you have any tips or tricks for her she’d love to hear from you, email her at: mollie(at)ecobags(dot)com