Fall is my favorite season, and it’s host to my two favorite holidays: Halloween and Thanksgiving.
But it isn’t always easy staying green while enjoying Halloween, so here’s some painless tips & tricks to keep in mind, so you can enjoy yourself this Halloween without hurting our planet.
- Shop at a secondhand or thrift store for your costume. Most Halloween costumes you buy in stores are meant to only be worn once or twice before being thrown out, and many contain harmful chemicals such as PVC, lead, and cadmium. Plus, you’ll also save money by buying secondhand or making due with what you already have.
- Ditch the face paint, especially for your little ones. The FDA does little to regulate face paint sold specifically for the holiday, and samples tested have contained heavy metals, some even having lead in them. Make due with the makeup you already have in your house.
- Consider using a reusable cotton tote instead of the plastic pumpkin or heavy duty plastic bag for your kids trick-or-treat bags. You can even make a day of it and decorate a cotton tote with them that they can use for many Halloweens to come! Why? These heavy duty plastics are very harmful to our environment, and take hundreds of years to degrade.
- If you’re giving out candy make the switch to organic candies that are bought in bulk and packaged in paper, or consider these lollies from yum earth organics. If you want to be even greener give out books from your local secondhand book shop or recycled pencils.
- Want to be even more green? Make a new tradition for the holiday – stay in with your kids, watch Hocus Pocus and eat some homemade treats!
- Go to an organic farm to pick your own pumpkins & save the seeds for roasting instead of throwing them out.
Written by: Mollie Mac, ECOBAGS® very own marketing maven. Mollie is an adventurer and a green living advocate. If you have any tips or tricks for her she’d love to hear from you, email her at: mollie(at)ecobags(dot)com