It’s finally warming up and beach/lake/pool season is upon us (at last!).
But beach going can also mean a lot of waste – as we pack our snacks, beverages, and the like. Here’s my go to guide on how to stay green while getting yourself a little (or a lot) of vitamin D!
- Bring your water in a reusable bottle or thermos. Hydroflask makes amazing thermoses that will keep your water ice cold all day (and in the winter, it will keep your hot chocolate piping hot.)
- You’re going to get hungry at some point during the day – skip the ziplock bags and opt for reusable snack/sandwich bags.
- Drinks anyone? Who doesn’t enjoy a little imbibing while relaxing on the beach? Skip the pre-made cocktails and opt for local brews & wines, preferably from eco-friendly, local, companies. (I know many beaches don’t allow glass, if this is the case for your local beach you can also put your wine into a hydroflask or fill up from your favorite craft brewery using a klean kanteen growler.)
- You probably want a bit of color, but you aren’t looking to roast. Keep in mind that sunscreen should be a last resort – wear clothes to shield yourself from too much sun and be sure to bring an umbrella for shade. There are eco-friendly sunscreen options out there that actually work! Here’s a friendly little list for you.
- Don’t bring your plastic bags (if you have any) to the beach! The last thing our oceans need are more plastic in them. Bring your totes, or my favorite, an ECOBAGS® string bag (perfect for keeping the sand out of your car).
Most importantly – remember to take your trash (if you make any) with you to dispose of properly!
Written by: Mollie Mac, ECOBAGS® very own marketing maven. Mollie is an adventurer and a green living advocate. If you have any tips or tricks for her she’d love to hear from you, email her at: mollie(at)ecobags(dot)com